Quantcast
>

Latin Patriarchate condemns Israeli army attack on Catholic school

Homilies

American Catholic Tribune Jul 8, 2024

Webp b0m7fejt08zmc8f949hatj3h578v
Reverend Joseph E. Kurtz, D.D. Bishop | Archdiocese of Louisville

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — The Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem issued a strong condemnation after the Israeli military targeted a Catholic school in Gaza, resulting in the deaths of four people, including a senior Hamas official.

In a statement published on July 7, the patriarchate said it was monitoring reports of a strike on Holy Family School, which “has, since the beginning of the war, been a place of refuge for hundreds of civilians.”

“The Latin Patriarchate condemns, in the strongest terms, the targeting of civilians or any belligerent actions that fall short of ensuring that civilians remain outside the combat scene,” the statement read. The patriarchate called for a cease-fire agreement “that would put an immediate end to the horrifying bloodbath and humanitarian catastrophe in the region.”

According to multiple news reports, including by The Associated Press (AP), Israeli airstrikes took place overnight from July 6-7 in Gaza, killing 13 Palestinians. The strike against Holy Family School, which was operating as a shelter, claimed four lives, including Ihab al-Ghussein, Hamas’ undersecretary of labor. In a statement, Hamas mourned al-Ghussein's death; his wife and daughter were killed in strikes during the early days of the war.

Israeli military officials justified the attack on the school by arguing that they bombed a Hamas military building and weapons-making facility “in the area of a school building.” This marks the second time within 24 hours that Israeli forces have targeted a school.

The Reuters news agency reported on July 6 that an Israeli Defense Force airstrike on a school in Al-Nuseirat left 16 dead and more than 50 wounded. The school was run by UNRWA (U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestine refugees) and was being used as a shelter by civilians fleeing Israeli military strikes. One eyewitness told Reuters he saw “the bodies of children, in pieces” in a playground area.

The Israeli Defense Force claimed it was targeting Hamas gunmen hiding out in the area; however, Hamas denied its fighters were present.

UNRWA Commissioner-General Philippe Lazzarini condemned this strike and said that nearly 2,000 internally displaced persons were housed at the school. "Another day. Another month. Another school hit," Lazzarini posted on his X account on July 7.

Denouncing accusations by Israel that UNRWA facilities were being “used by Palestinian armed groups,” Lazzarini has repeatedly called for “independent investigations to ascertain facts and identify those responsible for attacks on UN premises or their misuse.” He added: "The longer this war goes on, the deeper the rift will become and more suffering people will endure... Enough is enough."

The Latin Patriarchate stated they "continue to pray for the Lord’s mercy." Meanwhile, marking nine months since hostilities began on October 7 last year between Israel and Gaza-based militants led by Hamas; protesters blocked highways across Israel calling for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's resignation and pushing for ceasefire negotiations to secure hostage releases held by Hamas.

Want to get notified whenever we write about Archdiocese of Louisville ?

Sign-up Next time we write about Archdiocese of Louisville, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Archdiocese of Louisville

More News